Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Stug riders

Hello readers, this time I'm going to build a small diorama called "Stug Riders". The Stug III or better said Sturmgeschutz III was a German self propelled artillery vehicle from the WW2 era. The advantage of this vehicle was that it was very flat, almost a moving platform. So it wasn't only useful as a battle machine, it was also used as a transporter. Well... not officially, but in the battlefield a lot of these vehicles have been spotted stashed full with soldiers that had to go from point A to point B. On some research pictures I even counted more than twenty four persons sitting on this machine, like they were driving a bus.


Well... The idea for this diorama is to stash this baby as full as possible with figures, only the drivers visual port will be free so they can see where they are going. The diorama base will be very sober so the attention will go to the vehicle and the Stug riders. The scene has to give the idea that they are driving for miles and miles, pretty boring and cramping...  



The sturmgeschutz III for this diorama is almost ready... Well I mean the building process... The paint job will come later, because I still haven't figured out which cammo pattern I will use.
For this build I used the Stug.III Ausf.C/D from Cyber-hobby 9119 orange box 19, it is an older kit that is tuned up a bit with some magic tracks. The hull with suspension is pretty good, but the fenders were really crappy and needed to be replaced by better ones. After some research I found some nice ones that fitted this kit, they are from (Aber Fenders for Sturmgeschutz III). For the Assembly of this upgrade I took the option to solder it completely, using glue is easier but less solid. During the soldering process I experimented a bit with a micro torch and a soldering iron, but I came to the conclusion that the easiest way to solder is by using a simple lighter. I probably will write a topic about soldering PE. parts later on, because I have too much to tell about it and it's not relevant to this post... This is my first attempt on soldering PE. parts... And I must say that I'm damn proud of the result!


I also added the detail set from (Aber Sturmgeschutz III, Ausf.B,C,D) to give it just the touch it needed. Too bad most of the details probably will get lost under a pile of Germans, but that may not spoil the fun. Now I just have to add a few small details more before I can start with the figures, but that I will show you next time... Just imagine how many will sit on there, and what will they be doing on there to kill time...




Well... Thanks again for reading and 'till next time. Bye!

16 comments:

  1. Nice choice in using the up gunned D, I like the older hulls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan, At the beginning of this project I was doubting between Ausf. F or G because I wanted the model with sidescirts. But in retrospect I am happy with this choice ... the older hulls are more flat, so they can carry more passengers.

      Delete
  2. I've always liked that word. "Stug!!":O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photo-etched is perfect on your model bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like it's going to be a beauty, looking forward to more...really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, stay tuned. I'll try to make an update soon.

      Delete
  5. IT's a great model you made ! I remember doing one when I was a kid with no airbrush, and it ended crappy.
    German WWII vehicles have always been by far my favorite. PS I've added a link to your blog on mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kherns, that brings back memories from my childhood. Back then I built a lot of 1/72 tanks. unfortunately they all ended up in flames on the battlefield in the backyard of my elderly home. I wouldn't dare to do that with my builds from nowadays.

      Delete
  6. Mijn complimenten Ludo voor deze schitterende bouw,de Photo-etched duwd het voertuig behoorlijk de hoogte in super knap gedaan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankje Danny, Het was geen gemakkelijke taak maar ben er zelf ook erg tevreden over.

      Delete
  7. Ludo.

    I would like to invite you to my new website which is designed to showcase and promote varied hobby works.

    Please see info at my blog.

    Sincerely
    Kriz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work, dear boy. I'm looking forward to seeing her dotted with German soldiery!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails